Wednesday 12 September 2007

I Love The 21st Century!

This is a quick entry, but I just had to share it with you.

Today I'm in the kitchen frying up some bacon, when the doorbell rings. I unplug the grill and rush to the front door as the bell rings again. And who's at the door? Why, it's Mr. Surly Mailman! And he's got a big package for me...

The new computer is here! Yay! So I'm very happy to see Mr. Surly Mailman, even though his expression seems to show that he hates my guts (getting heavy computers delivered in the mail probably doesn't help our relationship). I smile and say "Hello!" He glares at me and shoves the box in my arms, along with a handful of mail on top. Then he says "this card is crap" (refering to one of those "you weren't home so we're holding your mail at the post office" cards that he was filling out in the 40 seconds it took for me to get to the front door), and stomps down the steps.

It take me a few seconds to figure out how I can get the big computer box inside the house without spilling the mail, but I manage to get everything sorted. The new computer is here! Yay! So I put the box down and finish making the bacon sandwich, then sit down at the old computer to look at the Internet while munching.

And the first thing I see is an article about how my new computer is going to be obsolete in three to five years.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/11/technology/11storage.html?ex=1347249600&en=b09d7ef0dc0d21b5&ei=5124&partner=digg&exprod=digg

God bless the 21st century!

That might sound like irony, but it's not. I do love this wonderful age that we live in, for many reasons, and one of the biggest is the way that so many science fiction concepts seem to finally be coming true. Just think, if this scientist's new technology works out, the hard drives five years from now might contain ten to a hundred times more data then they do now! That's whole lot of zeroes and ones. I'll probably have to buy a new computer.

But somehow I bet it'll be delivered by the same surly mailman. Or maybe a robot mailman that's ten to a hundred times surlier.

No comments: